Wednesday 22 September 2010

FOMC

Each month we have the rate decision for the US, currently at 0.25% it was unchanged. The figure was released last night at 7.15pm, so of course I stayed. Last time I didn't do that much and realised if I had just done what I was thinking I could have made some good money. So this time I wanted to get involved, there is a lot of room to make and lose because the liquidity dries up massively around this figure. Prices move fast and you can easily sell something and immediately click buy at a cheaper price and be out all within a few seconds.

I watched the markets as I heard it the rates were going to remain unchanged and the markets moved.. I didn't know which way they would go so kept watching, I eventually sold the euribor and waited on the schatz and got filled pretty fast. Then the price below the euribor vanished and the one below that went down to 12 on the bid so I clicked on the 12 and then the one above got taken and I was feeling a little stupid for not just taking it, but I don't think anyone sold it at that price anyway. I got out for 1/2 a tick and then sold the fly, then reversed and bought it for a few ticks. The bund had a stop but it happened in a blink of an eye literally, I didn't even see it go up and down just I could see it had done so...maybe I was looking at the schatz at the time though (but it was really fast). Then soon after the bobl did a similar thing and shot up and the liquidity dried up massively so I just clicked on the higher of the prices which had no one willing to sell at, it had already retraced by 2 ticks so I assumed I wouldn't get it, but it did a little spike upwards and filled me at 28 and I immediately could buy it at 26, for 2 ticks profits. I was done and up 145 euros from the 40 minutes of fun I had trading over FOMC.

I am now up 1100 euros for the week but I am taking a couple days off trading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment