Tuesday 19 April 2011

Bad luck, stress and huge positions

Gawd my head aches.. yesterday I was up 370 euros with minimal costs, went to the local shop came back.. saw the spread was on its high, sold the euribor, 2 seconds passed I didn't lift the schatz because there was no need, then... the US was given a negative outlook I was just short euribor outright and it climbed and climbed, I clicked buy, everything jammed and I couldn't put any orders in. 2 minutes passed and I was finally able to buy and bought it near the top of the initial move. I blew my day and was now reasonably negative, I was frustrated and sold the spread where I intended, sold it 1/2 tick higher with full size instead of half the size out of frustration. It's crazy what happens to me in these markets what more is there to say. I seem to be gifted at putting a position on seconds before unexpected news or big stops.

The spread moved up further and I went to sell another spread and bought the bobl which then instantly fell 4 ticks, the most extreme move in a couple seconds I had seen since returning over a week ago and doing 14 hours a day! I sold a price so low it was ridiculous, I sold the original spread and got 1 lot out of 10 and missed the next price too. I was printing down just under -1500 euros. I decided my stop for the day would not include the money I lost on the news as it would just mean I get stopped out too often. I brushed past my stop very slightly and held maximum size overnight.

The next day the 2nd spread I had sold was printing 20 ticks higher and I was feeling numb, but luckily it didn't open that high. But because of this I missed an opportunity to get out of my massively offside position. The opportunity lasted seconds so didn't feel so bad to have missed it. I got 1 clip of my 4 off and put it back on at the same price, the spread slowly came down throughout the day and I managed to get it all off. I was confused what my PNL really was as settlement prices make it complicated. I traded based on prices of last night knowing roughly what my PNL was, and early on my PNL spiked to -945 and now I have only 1 position on and it's showing +465 as I write. I believe I am quite close to scratching the two days now, a near 1500 euro recovery and a seriously stressful experience.

Update: Flat and done, up 40 euros over this two day period before costs. w00t ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment